The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-certainly-the-cost-of-housing-is-less-but-17546075.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/20/2002  4:08 AM
Author:  peteyperson Number:  70921 of 734998

Well certainly the cost of housing is less, but the cost of living is high in general in the UK. City living is more but it's high regardless. The problem with living so far out is that you would have a hard time finding regular paid employment. or the business I run, offering IT solutions to small & medium size businesses, I need to be located at least reasonably near a major town to get enough business & charge liveable rates for the work. I do plan to move out to a county (state) outside of London, about 28 miles away, which allows access to Central London in an hour which will reduce the cost of housing from crippling levels to somewhat affordable. But it will require having less contact with my friends, considerable & costly travel which saps time, money and energy in the process.

The problem with property has become so bad that property in the suburbs AND on the outskirts of London itself has become so inflated that it's out of a reasonable price range too. You have to venture out large distances to bring the costs down at this point.

Petey

What about if you live way out in the boondocks, very rural? Like when they show a small village in England with a pub and sheep and such as that? How is the cost of living in a place like that? In the United States there is an unbelieveable difference between living in the city and living way out in the country. - Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us