The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fun & Games / HSX Board Room

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hsx-board-room-faq-17571574.aspx

Subject:  HSX Board Room FAQ Date:  7/24/2002  10:30 PM
Author:  redbaron7 Number:  469 of 4152

HSX Board Room FAQ v1.0, Rev. 2.0

Q: What are the rules for the HSX Board Room discussion board?
A: Not many beyond the basic TMF conditions of use regarding abuse, profanity,etc.

HSX is a game. It is just for fun, and so is this board. 'Fun' smack talk is fine -- if you've got it, rub it in -- but flame wars, name calling, offensive language and anything else to make another player deliberately angry or uncomfortable is not allowed. Period.
For an example of 'fun smack talk', see Uhura's post about her Mini-Me, directed at Agent:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17553398
and some posts afterwards.

Other than that, do not pump HSX stocks. Shills not welcome!
"Hot News" (casting news, a film has been greenlit, etc) is welcomed, but please include web link(s) to your source(s).

Q: What is HSX?
A: HSX is an online trading game. Players buy and sell stocks and bonds representing real films and actors. The aim is to make as much 'money' as possible.

Q: Where is it?
A: http://hsx.com

Q: Does it cost anything?
A: No. Play is free. When you sign up, you are given an initial portfolio of H$2 Million. ("H$" = Hollywood Dollars - ie. about as valuable as Monopoly money)

Q: What does a H$ (Hollywood Dollar) represent?
A: For moviestocks, 1 Hollywood Dollar represents $1 Million at the US box office. Eg. if you think a movie will make $50 Million, then you will expect that movie's shares to eventually be worth H$50 each.

Q: Can I make real money with it?
A: Not really, and we don't personally know of anyone who has done.
HSX do claim to offer prizes though. Also, HSX portfolios are sometimes sold on EBay.
HSX do offer some real money games, but we haven't played them.
Personally I think they look suspiciously like gambling.

Q: Sounds great, where can I find out more?
A: First start by reading the other posts in the box on the right-hand side. The glossary should help with the various terms. Also look at the suggested web links. There are a number of fan sits online. Most have tutorials.

Q: Sounds great, how do I get started?
A: Go over to hsx.com. Sign up. Start trading!

Q: Do you recommend any strategies to get started with?
A: Developing new strategies (and getting them to work!) is a part of the game.
However, you really should think short term.
This is especially true for small portfolios.
"Buy & Hold" does NOT work very well with HSX. Only buy movies which are already out, or are about to be released.
Find about delists and adjusts. Try to predict which way movies and bonds will move. Then buy or short accordingly. Use the fansites to help you. Eg. The Numbers is a good predictor of which star bonds are going to adjust and by how much.
As you build your portfolio, you can look longer term, but when you start you shouldn't be looking further than about 2 weeks into the future.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us