The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-usual-question-is-quotwhen-are-you-going-17610442.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/31/2002  12:00 AM
Author:  golfwaymore Number:  72273 of 756573

The usual question is, "When are you going back to work?" My response was that I wasn't planning on going back. People don't respond well to this. When they ask me what I am doing, I have come to realize that they don't really want to know what I am doing, but rather why I am not doing what they are doing.

You've summed it up better than I've seen before.

We live in (I guess) what you'd call an "upper class" neighborhood, the only one of it's kind in the county.

We had a "get acquainted" neighborhood BBQ a few weeks ago. Everyone around the room introduced themselves and their profession. We're the youngest couple in the neighborhood by about 15 years and we're the only ones retired.

That in and of itself is fine, I'm not gloating. What's bothersome, at least to me, is that folks there with high incomes and high consumption have never considered such, and dont understand what they would do with themselves even if they could. Unbelievable.

Everyone seemed really puzzled, except for (ironically) a doctor and his wife who are relatively young and close to ER. At least there were two people there who spoke our language. <grin>

Golfwaymore

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us