The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/because-he-did-all-this-he-was-hardly-17611664.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/31/2002  9:59 AM
Author:  ChocoKitty Number:  72310 of 753039

Because he did all this, he was hardly "retired." He was a scientist and statesman, not a golfer.

Ah, I think we're onto something here: a misunderstanding of what the word "retired" means. Yes, we're using the same words, but we're definitely NOT attributing the same meaning to them.

In my book, Franklin WAS retired because he didn't have to do any of these things for pay. He did what exactly what he wanted, without worry about whether it paid or not. To me, that's retirement. Others may call it financial independence. Whatever.

The paradox of FIRE is that when we start doing something because we *don't* need the money, we may end up accomplishing more than we ever did as a worker bee. Maybe it's because FIRE frees our minds from the money worries and the people-pleasing worries so we can focus more on what gives us meaning. And in the process, we might end up sharing our best "work" with others.

But those are just some random thoughts.

CK
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us