The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/samuelson-bemoans-the-fact-there-will-be-fewer-17612181.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/31/2002  11:16 AM
Author:  telegraph Number:  72325 of 753835

Samuelson bemoans the fact there will be 'fewer' engineers, with the 60 year olds becoming 'economic dropouts'. Heck, I wouldn't recommend even to an enemy to go to college and study to be an electrical engineer now or for the next 10 years..... few jobs, few job opportunities, and worked to death with 70 hour work weeks expected.

Same with teaching (low pay, low job satisfaction, and a zillion of hand tying rules and PC philosophy to follow)....

Seems strange to me.....10,000 plus 'engineers' laid off in Richardson TX area Telecom corridor.....which implies there are TOO MANY telecom engineers, and thus, according to Samuelson's free market philosophy, the cycle is self correcting....too many engineers implies engineers without work. Supply and demand...market forces.... he sounds like the management who want a million surplus engineers so they can try and hire them at minimum wage.....

And in telecom alone, 500,000 de-employed.......and lots more in computers, chips, and dot.com......

And I don't think he wants to create gov't jobs to employ all those engineers......(and take taxpayer money to do it).

He is, for telecom people, going around in circles.....

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us