The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlti-got-a-chuckle-todayrobert-samuelson-17613855.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/31/2002  2:48 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  72375 of 736467

<<I got a chuckle today....Robert Samuelson, in an opinion article in the Dallas Morning News, was bemoaning the fact that early retirees were no long contributing their 'work' to the economy.......quoted figures that nearly 50% of people over age 60 have dropped out of the work force.....

Guess he doesn't understand the current work environment, and is more concerned with watching 'economic output' climb than with the happiness of millions of those who 'escape' the rat race.
>>

Heh, heh! Aint that great?

Sometimes I will explain to people that I don't work much anymore because of high Federal tax rates. They usually find it hard to believe that this would actually result in someone choosing to work less.

When I go into a bit more detail and point out that I have to make a choice bewteen working and paying a 43% marginal tax rate on income, or a 0% tax rate on leisure time, they start to get the point. Usually, they seem rather afraid of the concept, it seems.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us