The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/although-more-expensive-it-might-be-worth-doing-17613915.aspx

Subject:  Re: our debt - any suggestions? Date:  7/31/2002  2:55 PM
Author:  reverbbrad Number:  135141 of 308541

Although more expensive, it might be worth doing it that way for some people if they need the psychological boost of completely paying off a card.

There may also be other practical considerations. Recently, I had a choice between paying off my remaining car loan (4.9 apy) or a portion of my credit card debt (at 7%).

I ended up going with the car loan because a) it freed up more cash than the same payment to my cc would have and b) in a worst case scenario, if I couldn't make my car payment, it is a lot easier for them to come take it than it would be for a credit card to come after me.

Both my wife and I have been laid off a couple times recently (we are in the tech field, and were with companies that died), so I tend to think 'worst-case' a little more than most. If I got laid off again, my bare minimum monthly expense was reduced substantially, and I could count on the car being there.

-Brad
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us