The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/usually-they-seem-rather-afraid-of-the-concept-17614143.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date:  7/31/2002  3:20 PM
Author:  CatherineCoy Number:  72385 of 746081

Usually, they seem rather afraid of the concept, it seems.

Afraid? Or perhaps just unfamiliar. Many concepts are unfamiliar to us because we just haven't encountered anyone--or any group--that steadfastly holds to a particular line of thinking.

As I mentioned in an early post, I came here not because I wish to RE but because I heard that various ways of making one's money grow were authoritatively discussed here. I found out that the "various" ways are not enthusiastically supported. There's really only one way that's given any credence at all: equities. All other approaches are boo-ed and hissed with regularity.

Yes, when introduced to someone who has retired, for cryin' out loud, at age 31, one thinks, "Yikes! Whatsa guy like that do all day?!" Come to find out, he continues his activities (slightly working?) to make his money grow--yeaaaa!!--but in real estate--boooo!!

Arguments on both sides of the equation--to RE or not to RE--may conjure up all kinds of insecurities and anxieties. So now there's something wrong with that, too?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us