The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/should-i-buy-a-printer-what-is-the-guideline-i-17691108.aspx

Subject:  Re: Should I buy stuff to pay off debt? Date:  8/15/2002  11:05 AM
Author:  reverbbrad Number:  136725 of 308643

Should I buy a printer? What is the guideline? I really could use it to printout debt reduction stuff online. What about Quicken. Is it really that easy? I usually fail to find and unzip downloaded files and stuff. I can't do that. It has to print out what I see on-line.

Ok, someone has to be the luddite here.

I have never used quicken, so I can't speak to its particular usability or usefulness.

What I can tell you is that with some self-discipline, you can probably achieve the same results with a spiral notebook and pack of pens that can probably be bought at a local CVS for about $3. I also use an index card box to house my cleared checks. Just keep your bills and receipts and track them for a couple months. Once you see where all your money is going, it'll be easier to make good budget decisions.

Generally speaking, I can count on one hand the number of things that I have bought where I was actually "spending money to save money". I dunno if spiffy software would really count.

-Brad

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us