The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fun & Games / Scrabbling Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/coffeehouse-scrabble-17739931.aspx

Subject:  Coffeehouse Scrabble Date:  8/26/2002  12:30 PM
Author:  InvestorGrrl Number:  35 of 51

For those who don't take Scrabble® Brand Crossword Game play all that seriously, but like the game enough to want to meet new people face-to-face through it:

http://scrabble.meetup.com/hq/

An excerpt Q&A from the site:
Is this affiliated with any Scrabble-related organization?

No. MEETUP has no affiliation, connection or association with any Scrabble-related organization. MEETUP simply provides the technology to enable Scrabble Players to MEETUP with eachother locally. Hopefully, this strengthens the Scrabble community. MEETUP believes that people with a common interest don't need permission from a central authority to MEETUP.

I learned of this site when I performed a keyword search for "Word Freak Seattle" on a major search engine.

I joined an online Scrabble club last week and was pleasantly surprised to see, more than once, the following comments from experts, all three are in the book Word Freak:

Hi! Nice to see you here! Sorry you weren't at NSC.

One player even has a chapter all to himself in Word Freak, so I reread the book, to prepare for an upcoming local book-signing and reading, and to learn more about the expert.

My shift toward civic-mindedness (my big reading for the next four weeks is Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam), the warm welcome I received from my club when I made my increasingly rare appearance, and the opportunity to improve my play are gently guiding me back to organized play. Now if only I made the time and effort to study...

P.S. Diane, the Big Apple unsurprisingly has five registered MEETUP people itching for a game. Yet I don't know how keen they'd be to meet on the "International Scrabble MEETUP" day...

P.P.S. My losing streak on-line is telling me I am not yet ready for Portland. But there is a smaller tournament coming up that I might be able to cram for.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us