The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-i-just-got-off-17755742.aspx

Subject:  Well, I just got off... Date:  8/29/2002  9:40 AM
Author:  sockwonder Number:  137913 of 308362

... the phone with Providian. I've had my Providian GetSmart card paid off for a few months now. It has a $3200 limit and a 24.99% APR (which I think is slated to go up to 29.99% within the next month). Today I checked my account online, and there was the infamous Providian annual fee - $89. As much as I wanted to keep this card around to boost my debt:available debt ratio, this was the last straw. I called Providian to get it waived. "I'm sorry sir, but that was part of the agreement you signed when you joined Providian, blah, blah, blah..." I explained that my wife just got her annual fee waived a few weeks ago (true). She repeated the exact sentence from her flash card, but this time added in a nice voice, "I hope I explained why clearly enough?" Yeah, it's all too clear. "Is there anything else I can do for you today," she asked. "Yeah, forward me to the closing department," I said. The rep there asked for a reason why I wanted to close, and I told her it was because of the annual fee. "For $89, you can keep my business," I said. She started on the same flash card phrase that the other rep used, and I cut her off. The card is closed, and the annual fee is gone. I won't have to pay it, since you're paying it in advance, like rent. I have to admit that I'm kind of shocked. I really thought they'd try to keep me. I've had the card since 1999. I've never been late. I've never complained about anything. I've been what I consider to be a model cardholder. But they didn't care. And you know what? I don't either. I have a Citi Platinum Select Upromise card at 10.74% and an MBNA Premiere card at 12.99%. Screw Providian, once and for all.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us