The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rm-to-sell-house-biggest-bang-for-ones-buck-17757833.aspx

Subject:  R&M to sell house, biggest bang for one's buck? Date:  8/29/2002  3:15 PM
Author:  TractorXena Number:  46508 of 127236

haven't listed the place, but sitting and thinking about all the repair and maintenance that needs doing here.

House owner-built with help of professional builder friends in 1990, tasteful but not "fancy" interior, just good basic casual craftsman style with decent closets and built ins. Original berber carpet which I now hate but couldn't see point of paying for hardwood at this point. 4br, 2 baths, one needing shower enclosure and a bit of counter work. Plumbed in rough for one bathroom in basement. Xtra chimney plumbed in to code to allow for woodburning stove which we never felt the economic need to install (it queers your house insurance costs, too.) Everything is off white to offset long winters. Solar sited. Paint/walls have gone through two kids and two cats. Plumbing needs tweaking (froze a pipe last winter leaving the hose stuck in the outside tap...my fault), septic alarm needs fixing, basement unfinished and don't have energy to finish it either. Kick-a$$ multilevel deck with cedar shakes on gazebo - totally unique and nice. Have farm buildings but at this point just considering the value of the house (house makes or breaks land sales most of the time.) Landscaping half done (not really possible ever to be done - I bit off way more than I can chew.) We are NOT near a city. I don't expect to get a ton of money for the place as land values have not gone up that much out here. but have got "house fixup" slotted in as a budgetary item, and a six month period for completion estimated (pay as you go, or depending on how the money comes in from operations.)

Have never sold a house before - this is the only house I ever owned!

All comments welcomed!
TX

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us