The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/capital-gains-for-sale-of-business-17891557.aspx

Subject:  Capital Gains for sale of business Date:  9/24/2002  8:45 PM
Author:  CapGain100 Number:  61550 of 121219

The Problem: I sold a small business in April of this year for $90,000. My accountant said that I would have to pay capital gains on the proceeds less some small expenses, eg, cost of sale. The original purchase price of $43,000 of the business has long been depreciated. I've owned and run the business for 8 years as a sole owner. I am assuming I will have to pay about $16,200 in capital gains (18%). My accountant said that I could prepay some year 2003 bills this year to minimize the capital gains for this year. Some of the prepays were: property taxes and mortgage interest on 2 rentals. In July I used most of the proceeds to purchace a rental. I'm assuming the expenses of purchasing and repairs of the new rental can be deducted against the capital gains of the sale of the business. Is there anything else that I can do to minimize the capital gains due for this year? How much will I pay on the recapture of the depreciation? Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us