The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks E / eBay, Inc.

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-albaby-and-to-everyone-else-who-has-17956798.aspx

Subject:  Re: Relative eBay newbie hopes for help Date:  10/7/2002  4:43 PM
Author:  xraymd Number:  18083 of 25882

Greetings, Albaby, and to everyone else who has been so kind to reply thus far!

I am thinking of selling the kinds of stuff probably most people start by selling - my cast-offs. But I'm choosing only the best of these: clothing in excellent condition, some unworn and new with tags (don't ask!).

The deal is that some of these items are from designer labels and would probably fetch a high price relative to their non-labeled counterparts (i.e. coat from a sought-after French designer, never worn, Hermes scarves never worn, etc.). I have very little of THESE kinds of items yet would hope to showcase them properly to make them appropriately attractive to their intended targets. So I am trying to learn how to do this well.

Reader99's suggestion of starting by selling something inexpensive and small makes excellent sense and this is what I will do at the beginning. I've already had good luck selling no-longer-wanted medical books on half.com but that seems to be a different style of selling than eBay is.

Finally, I may eventually have some more high-end specialty items (objets-d'art from the 1950s) but not until I understand the ropes of how to price, market and sell to the intended customer of these items, whether on eBay or not.

I don't have any ultimate intention of becoming a primary eBay seller (at least I don't plan on it!). I have just completed my medical residency and am in between that and starting to work. In the meanwhile, I have titanic levels of student loan debt which I would dearly love to retire, and the best way I know how at this time is to purge myself of old possessions that have demonstrated value in the eBay marketplace. I'm in a divestiture mood, anyway, so the timing is right to concentrate on how to sell off my stuff as appealingly as possible.

xraymd
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us