The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/state-residency-tax-implications-of-home-sale-17989740.aspx

Subject:  state residency tax implications of home sale Date:  10/14/2002  11:53 AM
Author:  cabreck Number:  61701 of 121100

I am in the process of selling a townhouse in CO (I used to live in it 1996-1999 before I moved to CA, since then I have been renting it). Actually, one of the reasons I sold it this year was to take advantage of not being taxed on capital gains, since I lived there 2 of the last 5 (besides the money claimed as depreciation on my taxes).

I have been in the transit this year, spent the first 4 months working and living in CA and will spend the last 5 months in NY where I now live and work. In between I spent some time in CO and prepared my townhome to sell it, and did some travelling.

My question is: Does it matter what I list as my address on my final contract documents when I sell my townhome? Are there any tax advantages/disadvantages or does it really matter?

Thanks.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us