The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/waking-up-equifax-how-18043487.aspx

Subject:  Waking up Equifax - How? Date:  10/24/2002  3:51 PM
Author:  Cptbutton Number:  143709 of 309666

Equifax is ignoring me.

Residents of Georgia like me are entitled to two free copies of our credit report a year. Transunion and Experian have complied with my requests after some prodding.

On 06Jun2002 I sent Equifax a request for a copy of my credit report by postal mail with documentation. I got no response of any kind.

On 18Aug2002 I sent them a letter asking why they hadn't responded. I got no response of any kind.

On 25Sep2002 I sent them a letter asking why they hadn't responded, certified mail, return receipt requested. After a week or so, I received the receipt back with a stamped signature and dated 27Sep2002. I have received no other response.

As of Monday that will be over a month since I know they got a letter, and almost 5 months since this all started.

Equifax has carefully set up their website and phone systems so that it is impossible to communicate with them in unless you have already got a copy of your credit report. And the "order by phone" section won't talk to me it says my SSN and/or street number is incorrect.

Lovely little "Catch-22" setup there.

I'll be damned if I'll pay them for what they are legally required to give me for free. Although I suspect that is what they want here.

What do I do now?

Sending more postal mail seems unlikely to do any good.

There is a Equifax building in Atlanta I see from the highway. While I could go there in person, I'd really not, I have trouble