The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lulub-you-wrote-cant-speak-for-that-cu-but-my-18068288.aspx

Subject:  Re: Getting A Personal Loan to Pay off CC Debt. Date:  10/29/2002  2:48 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  144066 of 312185

LuluB,

You wrote, Can't speak for that CU, but my CU gave me a loan and I did not see anyone in person. Everything was done through the mail. Easy as pie. Just a thought.

Yes, I know dealing with a CU by mail is pretty easy. I did for a while nearly 20 years ago. But I chose that CU because the interest rates were so much better than anything local.

I made that statement about location because it appeared to me that Brett was probably located in the North Dallas area and there are a few equally good credit unions in the area that he probably qualifies for.

While it's certainly possible to deal with a CU by mail, nothing beats the immediacy of walking into a branch and speaking with a loan officer. If they approve your application, you can often be out the door in under half an hour with the cash in your account. When dealing with an institution by mail, the loan process can take days.

Of course some institutions are beginning to take loan applications online too. But if everything else is equal, I'll still probably prefer a local institution over one that's remote.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us