The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: childcare credit Date:  11/7/2002  7:29 AM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  61951 of 127637

My wife is a postdoctoral fellow and is paid by NIH on a 1099. Does that really mean we can't get the childcare credit on federal income taxes, since her income is not 'earned'?

She will either have income or be considered a full-time student with the postdoc, won't she ? I suspect you get the credit one way or another. For the coming year, if either of you have access to a pre-tax childcare account, you may want to run the numbers both ways - after a certain income level, the pretax account is often the better choice.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us