The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: childcare credit Date:  11/7/2002  9:20 AM
Author:  HardyWeinberg Number:  61955 of 127617

Just curious why you say her income is not earned?

Here is some documentation against this being earned:,,id%3D11117,00.html

Earned income does not include pensions or annuities, social security payments, workers' compensation, interest, dividends, or unemployment compensation. It also does not include scholarship or fellowship grants, except amounts paid to you (and reported on Form W-2) for teaching, research, or other services.

It's a fellowship for research purposes reported on a 1099. But it's not research dollars, it's entirely salary. Or salary-like.

and then on student status:

You are a full-time student if you are enrolled at and attend a school for the number of hours or classes that the school considers full time. You must have been a student for some part of each of 5 calendar months during the year.

We seem to lose because there is no enrollment.

I guess it's just that exclusion of research fellowships. Why did they stick that in there?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us