The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: childcare credit Date:  11/7/2002  11:29 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  61960 of 127513

My wife is a postdoctoral fellow and is paid by NIH on a 1099. Does that really mean we can't get the childcare credit on federal income taxes, since her income is not 'earned'?

Not at all. Her income is indeed earned. I would question the NIH reporting it to her on a 1099, however. Research and fellowship grants are typically reported as wages on form W2, not as a 1099. But either way, it is earned income and qualifies for the child care credit.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us