The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: childcare credit Date:  11/7/2002  12:05 PM
Author:  HardyWeinberg Number:  61962 of 127753

The definition of what is not earned income seems to want scholarship, fellowship income to be earned as an employee. So I wonder if it'd be prudent to investigate the nature of the employment, or if it really doesn't matter, and claim the credit as self-employed.

The rationale she was given by an adminstrator was that if the payment were reported on a w-2 then they would need to also withhold FICA, even though graduate stipends are also reported on w-2's w/o FICA withholding. NIH just found it easier to get around not withholding FICA by putting the income on a 1099. I don't think FICA is the criterion for whether income is earned or not, because the graduate stipend on a w-2 is earned, even though FICA is not withheld.

It's all very puzzling, and it would be easier to avoid the whole issue if I did have a flexible spending/medical savings acct but I don't.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us