The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: childcare credit Date:  11/7/2002  1:50 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  61965 of 127745

MarleysGhost writes (in part):

I'd agree that this is definitely "earned income". I'm curious as to your thoughts on why Pub. 503 mentions the W-2 form for scholarship, fellowship earnings in relation to teaching, research, etc.

I reply:

My guess is that the IRS intends to distinguish between "pure" financial aid for which the recipient need not work, which would not be earned income, and teaching and research fellowships, which are earned income. --Bob
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us