The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Foolish Elves - Acts of Kindness

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-do-things-every-year-for-the-needy-for-18125664.aspx

Subject:  Re: Git Ya Butt Up - It's Xmas Time! Date:  11/8/2002  6:09 PM
Author:  uwalum Number:  796 of 3074

We do things every year for the needy. For instance,

Each of my boys purchases and gives a gift to a needy child from the Salvation Army giving tree at the local mall.

For three years, we coordinated the food and gift purchases for the families whose names we received from our local welfare office and homeless shelters through our church for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. The last two years we just donated!

Every year, we send gifts of books (Harry Potter) and board games to the St. Mary's Home for Boys in Beaverton, Oregon.

I bake pies and take to the homeless shelter at Thanksgiving.

Every year, we take the scouts and sing carols at the local nursing home and take cookies to share.

It really doesn't take much effort to provide some relief to those in need. Dropping off a can of food for food drives when you leave the grocery store, donating school supplies in the fall, or buying winter coats that go on sale in the spring and donating that winter. It's easy, really.

I encourage everyone to look at their own local community and provide some relief to those in need. It is good for our children to see that some other children will have a Christmas because we made an effort. It can (and hopefully will be) a life long lesson that will recur every year of our lives.

L
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us