The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Foolish Elves - Acts of Kindness

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-that-helping-kids-is-always-a-good-thing-18133263.aspx

Subject:  Re: Git Ya Butt Up - It's Xmas Time! Date:  11/11/2002  9:34 AM
Author:  january00 Number:  819 of 3081

I think that helping kids is always a good thing and so that would get my first vote. My second vote would be something for veterans (and by coincidence, here it is Veterans' Day). I feel helping veterans is our obligation as Americans.

Here in Boston, we have the New England Shelter for Homeless Veterans. The shelter takes in veterans (those who fought in a war or were "just" in the service) who agree to be sober/drug-free (they provide counseling). Then they get them into a program to learn job skills, get a job, and eventually help them to move on to their own apartment. I love the work they do first, because it's for veterans, and second, because it goes beyond just giving them a place to crash: they teach them real life skills and get them back into society. The people who work and volunteer there are just great.

Having said that, regardless of where we end up, I am looking forward to participating! Please keep us posted!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us