The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Biotech and The Gorilla Game

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/kathy-these-approaches-may-be-very-efficacious-18161927.aspx

Subject:  Re: individualized therapy Date:  11/16/2002  2:01 PM
Author:  JohnYossarianJr Number:  66 of 69

Kathy, these approaches may be very efficacious. Being patient specific, they may be very costly and present bottlenecks in production that a less individual approach may avoid. You may want to look at Cell Genesys in addition to the two companies you have mentioned. They are very well capitalized, still a ten percent owner of Abgenix, I believe, which they spun off some time ago and which is a testament to Cell Genesys' business and scientific acumen. My understanding is that Cell Genesys engineers the gene for granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GMCSF) into tumor cells using two approaches, one patient specific, the other not. These provoke the patient's immune system to attack the tumor. They have a number of things in phase 2 clinical trials and plan to initiate a phase 3 trial mid-2003 for their GVAX prostate cancer vaccine. In addition, they have upwards of 200 gene therapy patents. Personally, I think this is one company with legs.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us