The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/imo-the-buy-and-hold-style-is-for-the-birds-18201901.aspx

Subject:  Re: Building Bond Portfolios Date:  11/24/2002  6:40 PM
Author:  imcharliehm Number:  5347 of 35387

IMO the Buy and Hold style is for the birds

Greyfox,

I'd argue with you over that sweeping generalization and qualify it this way: There are times to Buy and Hold (when the method can't be beat) and there are times when the method is the height of ignorance and foolishness. The trick is in determine which is when, for which tools as simple as a two-MAV crossover system backed up by RELSTR will be good enough for most investors' purposes.

But I'd underscore another point you make, namely the importance of TIME AND EFFORT in making one's decisions (aka, DD). That's the make-or-break that distinguishes winners from losers and why so many lazy investors are now whining about their losses. What was an easy game in the go-go years suddenly got hard, as the market turned on a dime --but not without ample foreshadowing--, and they gave back their gains and a whole lot more (as that example luv2earn reports of some idiot turning $800,000 into $250,000, for not having done his homework, nor exercising even a modicum of common sense, nor caution.)

Charlie
----------------
"If you have a minute, I can tell you how to make money in the stock market: Buy low and sell high. Now, if you have 5 or 10 years, I can tell you how to tell when stocks are low and stocks are high."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us