The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/charlie-i-think-i-did-understand-your-idea-of-18243242.aspx

Subject:  Re: Strong Hands/ Weak Hands Date:  12/4/2002  12:08 AM
Author:  iamdb Number:  5500 of 35276

Charlie,

I think I did understand your idea of strong vs weak hands, although that is not the way I'm used to thinking about the strong/weak hand dichotomy.

In my experience, the strong/weak hand distinction is usually made regarding the ability to hold an asset during adversity: Strong hands can weather an adverse condition; weak hands are likely to fold during a similar situation.

You seem to be using a strong/weak hand distinction situationally, with role reversals depending on a current event (buying/selling). This seems different from strong/weak hand distinction as a more or less abiding condition. The party with substantial assets might be thought to have stong hands; the party with less substantial assets has weaker hands. That is, the playing field is inheritantly unequal rather than situationally unequal. For example, this is how a larger competitor might drive a smaller competitor out of business through a period of price slashing.

db
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us