The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Can I contribute to an IRA while working abroad? Date:  12/4/2002  12:31 PM
Author:  punsun Number:  35286 of 88532

Hi everyone!

I'm brand-spanking-new here, so be gentle. I tried to search the FAQ's, and even read the All About IRA's article - but it still wasn't completely clear...

I recently married and moved abroad with my husband. I've JUST BEGUN getting a grip on our finances, and since we're already in heavy debt, I've just begun contributing to an efund, and thinking about retirement planning. I'm almost 27, DH is 29.

DH has an IRA. I don't.

However, I am no longer living or working in the US. I now work for a foreign company, but still have a US billing address, US bills, US bank accounts, credit cards, and US debt. This is a temporary situation - we plan to live abroad for maybe another year or so. My question is, does anyone know if I can open an IRA account NOW and begin contributing to it? We DID file taxes in the US for 2002 (so that's yes, right??).

Thanks in advance!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us