The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Low Carb Way of Life

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-understanding-is-that-going-into-ketosis-is-a-18250417.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hiya! Date:  12/5/2002  10:39 AM
Author:  impolite Number:  3493 of 30784

My understanding is that going into ketosis is a big no-no if you are nursing a child. Losing too much fat too quickly can release fat soluble toxins into your breast milk. Of course, my youngest is 5 so there may have been more recent studies out there contradicting this

Stopped nursing after three weeks: I wasn't producing enough to even supplement well, so we stopped. I wish I still was, or had done it longer, but maybe next time will go better. I was the first female in my family as far back as we know to even PROCUCE milk, so being able to BF for three weeks was a major victory.

Congratulations on Quinten. Your 1 lb a week loss is probably as much as I would go if you are still breast feeding him. No more than 2 per week at the most.

Even though I am not BF anymore, I can't lose two pounds a week without totally draining myself: I tried it, and I can do it, but I end up weak, tired and with headaches. 1 pound a week gets me to my goal (120) in April, or 8 months after Q's birth. Plus, it'll give me two extra months to find that perfect bikini before summer starts. :)

impolite
she of serious priorities
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us