The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / BBQ, Art of, Fun(ky), The

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-final-story-on-the-santa-project-18319705.aspx

Subject:  The Final Story on the Santa Project Date:  12/20/2002  12:52 AM
Author:  3blackdogs Number:  14495 of 82256

My Dear QHeads:

I am sending my check to bookgrrl tomorrow on behalf of you generous souls for the Santa Project. Though many of you requested anonymity, here's a few fast facts that you may enjoy:

**22 separate pledges from 15 different states
**Most were board regulars, but there were a couple of TMF strangers or else very deep lurkers that chipped in!
**Several spouses got into the act and helped the cause
**One poster's mom helped with their family donation
**Another poster's 84 yr old dad, when he found out what the poster was up to, insisted on matching the pledge and added his own check
**One board regular was chatting with an old pal and happened to mention what we were doing - this friend wrote a check on the spot and sent it on to me

And if this doesn't give you hope for the future, I don't know what will:

The 16 year old niece and 14 year old nephew of one of our board regulars insisted on donating the Christmas gift money they had saved up to spend on each other when they heard about the Santa Project. (These hard-working kids already volunteer their time at a center for severely developmentally disabled kids, in addition to working jobs on weekends.) Our intrepid QHead immediately told them he'd match their contribution, reinforcing their altruism, in addition to making his own donation.(And the best part is that they sent their school picture along with the check - they are ensconced forever on my refrigerator photo farm!)

Almost all of the checks have arrived - thank you - and every one of you sent a note echoing the sentiment of wishing to do more.

But you have done more today than you probably realize.

The pledges added up to $1285.

And as I tried to say to each of you as I acknowledged your individual pledges and checks, take time to feel good about what you have done - and what I'm sure you do all the time: you've eased the burden of those folks that have less good fortune. And as my friend Chez said to me in an email:

take comfort in the fact that our efforts in this project are going to result in hundreds of hungry folks & kids having warm, full tummys real soon ~ but more importantly...even if it's just for one day...it will give them HOPE.

I'm stealing Miz Wiley's closing, because I can't think of a more appropriate one:

Grace and Peace to You All!

ßÐ

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us