The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-disagree-with-this-statement-for-18351828.aspx

Subject:  Re: Quote from MadCapitalist's Profile Date:  12/29/2002  11:50 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  88120 of 757391

"I disagree with this statement. For example, let's say that I agree to pay you $1,000 if a coinflip turns up heads if you agree to pay a $900 fee. This would be a foolish "investment" for you to make. Even if you made money, I would consider the decision to make the investment to be wrong. Luck doesn't change a poor decision into a good decision."

There is no way I'd pay $900 to make a measly $100. I bought $4 worth of tickets to the $315 Million Powerball Jackpot. I guess that makes me a risk taker. If I ever hit it, it'll be big. If I don't? People blow money on all kinds of stupid stuff, tobacco, drugs, liquor, cars, boats, fishing, hunting, travel, etc. What difference does it make in the end how one spends their discretionary money? Who am I to judge someone on what they find interesting and fun? It all pans out in the end. As long as I have a warm bed to sleep in and food to eat, I figure I'm doing all right.
- Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us