The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Speaker's Corner / Pregnancy

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-there-i-saw-your-message-over-on-the-parenting-18353615.aspx

Subject:  Re: Advice Date:  12/30/2002  12:17 PM
Author:  exwa Number:  17 of 23

Hi there,

I saw your message over on the parenting board, but I'll give you my thoughts here just for kicks. I also was sick from those nasty prescribed prenatals, so I took myself over to the health food store and bought some decent vitamins. I used Country Life's 'Maxi Pre Natal' for the last 3 pregnancies. You take 6 capsules a day, 2 with each meal. That way you are loading up at one time (although I have been known to take all of them at night...most of the time in fact...), and are less likely to get sick if your stomach is sensitive. I completely disagree with those who say that vitamins are not necessary, unless you have a stellar diet. Pregnancy (and nursing) are a huge drain on the body, and it is hard to make sure you are getting the proper nutrition to compensate for that. I was extremely tired and worn out before I found those vitamins, and felt much much better after I started taking them. They were far superior to others I had tried, and I imagine that is in part because they absorb more easily in capsule form than in horse pill form.

I would not worry about the aspartame in the flinstones vitamins tho. It is likley only a tiny amount, and has been proven safe in some studies. I have had some myself at various times during pregnancy, especially this last one when I was on insulin for gestational diabetes. I try to minimize it of course, or find a better viatmin source if possible.

Oh, and congratulations!

e
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us