The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltthe-problem-most-people-have-is-that-they-have-18354096.aspx

Subject:  Re: Quote from MadCapitalist's Profile Date:  12/30/2002  1:28 PM
Author:  gurdison Number:  88152 of 756646

<The problem most people have is that they have been brainwashed into what they should believe is 'fun'.>

It is interesting that the recent release of George Harrison's final album is titled Brainwashed. I found it to be his best collection of songs since his first solo album way back in 1970. He touches on a lot of the themes you mention. The title song provides a fairly good sized list of the institutions and concepts that have successfully brainwashed us as a society. While very few can be totally immune to this, I think most FI/RE people have been able to limit the effects of the brainwashing attempt. However, since there tends to be very few FI types in the general population, I think those attempts have been fairly successful.

Another song "Any Road" has a great line in it: "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there". If you do not have a clear focus in your life, it is easy to fall into the many ditches along side the road. I was glad to hear that both his spirit and sense of humor remained intact until the end of his life.

BRG
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us