The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks A / Apple

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/retail-is-profitable-in-the-same-way-a-dot-com-18355021.aspx

Subject:  Re: The mystery that is Apple Retail Date:  12/30/2002  4:26 PM
Author:  FoolBalance Number:  80544 of 202296

Retail is profitable in the same way a dot-com was viable - only on paper.

What a load of horse manure..

Anyone who thought dot-coms were generally viable, that they had viable business plans were looking through the rosiest of glasses. Dot-coms tried to say that the world had changed, that profit and revenue no longer mattered, etc. I remember the dozens of investors on these boards saying so, the advertisements by brokerages saying the rules had changed, that the old bricks and mortar economy was what had become non-viable, etc...

I laughed and laughed because the fundamentals of economics don't change and you can find my posts saying as much at the time.

What you are saying is that Apple selling computers by a model which is fundamentally the same as that used for millennia by merchants in every culture (put your product on a shelf in an attractive location with lots of foot traffic and tell them how good it is, when sold, exchange the product for something of value: money nowadays) is somehow the same as the dot-com malarkey???

LOL!!!!

Paul
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us