The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks A / Apple

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-qualities-plato-described-are-essential-to-its-18362462.aspx

Subject:  Re: The mystery that is Apple Retail Date:  1/1/2003  9:10 AM
Author:  goffperu Number:  80566 of 204084

The qualities Plato described are ESSENTIAL to its success. Several people have noted previously that the Retail unit is not really about profits. It is MARKETING. It is like an exhibit at a trade show. It has to be a comfortable, inviting place for consumers to visit, or else it won't draw in people who are comfortable with their PeeCee misery.

My step father is a perfect example. He used to be a PC diehard, and engaged in regular Mac bashing despite having never touched one. I took him to the Apple Store in Chandler, AZ, and he now tells me he is going to buy an iMac in January. He spent over an hour in the store, much of that time grilling the salesman (Mike). Mike never acted like he wanted to leave, like he had other things to do, or that he would be disappointed if he didn't close the sale that day. I believe that all of these things contributed to my step father's decision.

If Retail pulls in a profit, that is pure icing for me. I would be happy if it breaks even.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us