The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/got-the-blues-with-amex-blue-18366507.aspx

Subject:  Got the blues with Amex Blue Date:  1/2/2003  11:28 AM
Author:  FuskieFool Number:  148373 of 308465

I have had a blue card for about 2 years. I have made 2 mistakes on the card, one not realizing that the 6 month 0% interest had expired (actually paid off the card monthly except for that last month), and being 2 days late in November. I received a letter in December that they were lowering my rate to 7.99%. But my statement a week later said 17.99%. I called and the customer no-service said because I was late in November, it would be 12 MONTHS before I could get the lower rate again. I asked him that given my overall history and that the balance was routinely paid in full could they make an exception. He said no. I said I had other credit cards carrying rates as low as 6.99% and he said his hands were tied. I told him I would have to mothball the Blue card for 12 months and use one of my more customer-friendly cards until then. He said there is nothing he could do.

My reaction to that is BS. If Amex Blue really wanted me as a customer, they should have lowered the rate. Maybe not all the way to 7.99% but anything under 12% would be reasonable for a rewards card. The guy gave me a name and address of a bit bucket in FL for consumer complaints, but I was wondering if there was a more effective strategy for getting American Express to tow the line.

Foolishly yours,

David
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us