The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: The down side of moving to California Date:  1/12/2003  5:15 AM
Author:  Azotic Number:  149103 of 312189

So I was wondering if I could use my credit information from UK.

You really can't. However, look at it this way: Californians going to work in the U.K. or Europe often find it even harder than you have because often nobody will lend them money at ANY rate.

After you have a year or so of payment history on the cellular phone, ask whether you can get the employer's name taken off.

In California, also, the utility companies (at least water and power, I'm not sure about telephone) are required to refund any deposit you had to give them after twelve months of on-time payments. If you've been on time with your payments, this must be refunded to you with interest. Contact your utility if this hasn't happened.

Also, after three or four years of credit history you'll find it much easier. You might try checking your FICO score at after you've waited another year or two and see how it's going.

-- Mark

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us