The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Shorting Stocks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/8-bucks-and-change-18435551.aspx

Subject:  8 bucks and change Date:  1/15/2003  6:14 PM
Author:  jazbo Number:  30749 of 44621

a little story.

i cut an extention cord with the snow blower yesterday.
use it to a block heater on my truck.
waz under the snow and i forgot it being there.

anyway..
i just got back from buying a new one and it waz only
8 bucks and change for a 100 ft grounded 10 amp cord.
shoot.. i can remember paying 3x that much for one.
made in malasia.. imagine that.. whuch reminded me
of this article.. so i post it.

DEBT HANGOVER
By Marc Faber

While analysts, pundits and government quants all cheer the American consumer, rising retail sales that are not accompanied by a rise in industrial production are highly questionable as an indicator for the domestic economy. In fact, they are a far better indicator for the strength of the Chinese economy.

Consider the following. The U.S. housing industry is booming. However, U.S. production of appliances is flat to moderately down compared to a year ago. Or take the home furnishings industry, which should be a prime beneficiary of strong home-building activity. However, furniture imports into the U.S. have jumped 71% since 1999 in three years and now comprise between 40% and 50% of all sales as of the second quarter of this year.

For wood and metal furniture, principally bedroom furniture, chairs, tables, and cabinets, import penetration has increased even faster. The imports of such items now account for 80% of sales by domestic manufacturers, compared to 20% a decade ago. According to an economist who has studied how U.S. industries ha