The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-joel-thanx-for-the-reply-you-wrote-quoti-18435852.aspx

Subject:  Re: CR info lingering after 11 YEARS Date:  1/15/2003  7:24 PM
Author:  expatpat Number:  149323 of 308369

Hi Joel,

Thanx for the reply!

You wrote, "I believe there is no limit for any credit history that's considered positive; but most CRAs drop anything older than 10 years. Negative information has to be dropped 7 years after the last verifible activity. If you have reason to believe the information is too old, get a copy of your report and dispute the item(s) with the CRA."

Is there a site that lists contact info for the various CRA's?

You wrote, "If you skipped out on a really big debt or really pissed off someone you owed money when you left, they may never let the claim die. In this case, you either have to 1) pay the claim, 2) file bankruptcy, or 3) live with it. This means that if the debtor is persistant and you're a dead-beat and refuse to pay, the creditor can make a mess of your credit for the rest of you life."

The various amounts weren't much, but when you're young and out of work even a couple of bucks is a lot of money. I have the money today to reimburse and ethically would like to do so but after reading posts here I'm reluctant to surface and repay as this would trigger a new 'last activity' date.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us