The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/asset-allocation-for-retirement-18463385.aspx

Subject:  Asset Allocation for Retirement Date:  1/21/2003  3:00 PM
Author:  UETZ Number:  35594 of 75839

My wife and I are saving for our retirement by investing in Roth IRA's. The problem I am having is in order to build our retirement portfolios do we invest in the same funds in lock-step? For example, if she invests in a Value fund should I do the same or invest in a Growth fund? In short should both of our portfolios be of the same funds or of different funds? In trying to guide our retirement future we have the following additional questions: 1) Do we manage each of our separate IRA portfolios individually or separately?;2)In chosing future index funds to invest in should we buy funds that benefit a one portfolio concept or a two portfolio concept?; and 3)Because we will be retiring at different times, she is 50 and Iam 56 how does this impact our retirement withdrawal rates if we treat both of our portfolios as one retiremnt fund? At the present time my wife and I have the following asset allocation: 1) S&P 500 index Fund in a tavable account; 2)She has a Total Bond Market Index Fund in a Roth; and 3)I have a Small CAp Value Index Fund in a Roth. Ultimately we would like a 65% to 35% stock to bond allocation. This year we are considering a REIT for her and a Short Term Corporate Bond Index for me. Any thoughts or ideas regarding our problems and questions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration in this matter. UETZ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us