The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thisguyntx-you-asked-ltlt-i-have-a-question-18471353.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth Contribution techniques Date:  1/22/2003  7:09 PM
Author:  TTRoberts Number:  35604 of 75381

thisguyntx, you asked:

<< I have a question about Roth IRA contribution techniques. For those of you that have a Roth, do you put all your money into the given investment(s) in one lump sum at a certain time? Or, do you dollar-cost average over the year or only at certain times during the year? I've heard several recommendations on this and am not sure which presents the greater advantage--especially the one about dollar-cost averaging in the months of July and October. Thoughts or opinions? >>

Dollar-cost-averaging is really just about reducing risk. So if there is some particular concern about a major move downward over a period of time, then dollar-cost-averaging over that period of time makes a lot of sense. But if one feels there's a better than average chance of the market moving upward over that period, just lump-summing would make more sense. This is a risk management issue one needs to make a decision on based on their own risk tolerance.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us