The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Roth IRA recharacterization Date:  2/6/2003  7:34 PM
Author:  twputnam Number:  63592 of 127523

Can anyone help me with the mechanics of a traditional IRA conversion to a ROTH IRA and the subsequent recharacterization - both in year 2002? Where do I report the conversion and where and how do I report the recharacterization so that the two distributions "wash" each other out so that there are no tax consequences? I received two 1099R's, one with a "7" in box 7 and the other with "N" in box 7.

I am using a program called "TAXWISE" and it is no help at all. This is the program that the AARP volunteers use.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us