The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/phil-thanks-for-your-reply-but-i-still-have-18618343.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA recharacterization Date:  2/19/2003  11:52 PM
Author:  twputnam Number:  63977 of 127549

Phil,

Thanks for your reply, but, I still have questions. I downloaded the instructions for Form 8686 as you suggested. The first bullet under Who Must File on page 1 does not apply to me since I did not contribute to an IRA in 2002. The second bullet under Who Must File on page 1 says: "You received distributions from a traditional, SEP or SIMPLE IRA in 2002 (other than a rollover, conversion, recharacterization or return of certain contributions) and your basis in traditional IRAs is more than zero."

I received distributions from traditional IRAs with non-zero basis, BUT, the above statement says that I do not have to file the 8606 if the distribution was from a conversion, which mine was from traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.

The 3rd bullet says: "You converted an amount from a traditional, SEP, or simple IRA to a Roth IRA in 2002 (unless you recharacterized the entire conversion - see page 3) This is what I did! So, again it seems that I don't have to file Form 8606

Thanks again for your help.

Terry

I know that the explanation goes with the amounts on Line 16a as per the instructions.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us