The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-looking-at-it-right-now-and-havent-decided-if-18648967.aspx

Subject:  Re: Long Term Care Insurance Date:  2/25/2003  6:37 PM
Author:  ibnana Number:  8365 of 19337

I'm looking at it right now and haven't decided if I truly need it. I would have plenty of $$$ for my own care. I did the chart that was in the Dec. issue of Smart Money magazine and it came out that I didn't need it. However, it is money that I inherited from my Mom & Dad and I would like to see that some (most) of it would be available to my two kids and/or three grandchildren. One of my kids (the mother of my grandchildren) really won't need it. In fact my will is written that she can disclaim any inheritance if she wants, but we never know what the future holds.

So, I'm 69 and should make a decision this year before I turn 70.

The other issue is whether at my age I should get inflation coverage or just buy a bit higher $$$ coverage. An AARP article said if you were 70, not to get it, the Smart Money article said if you were 75, don't get it.

The policy I'm looking at has either 4 yr, 6 yr, or lifetime coverage to choose from. I really don't think I want the lifetime and I'm looking at $100,000 or $150,000 coverage.

The main reason I'm thinking of getting it is for the home healthcare or assisted living coverage which is included. I think having that care can extend the quality of life by quite a bit.

My husband is uninsurable because of his medical problems although he is healthy right now. He has diabetes and has had quadruple bypass. If I outlive him, I will receive his full pension and then also his SS benefits.

Is there anything else I should consider? I've talked with two agents.

Carol
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us