The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/id-urge-you-to-think-primarily-about-what-youre-18649867.aspx

Subject:  Re: Long Term Care Insurance Date:  2/25/2003  10:49 PM
Author:  ibnana Number:  8368 of 19221

I'd urge you to think primarily about what you're going to need, not about leaving an inheritance. I have taken great comfort in the fact that my parents were able to stay in their home to the end.

If we all knew what we were going to need, it would sure help our planning a lot!

What I'm thinking is that I can easily afford to pay for the insurance and I'm not thinking of buying at a level that would pay for the entire cost of extended care, but would supplement what I already have available to spend.

There was an article in our paper a couple of weeks ago which said if you have less than $2M (I think that was the amount), LTC insurance should be considered because of the way costs are going up.

My mom bought some when she was about 80 and I was horrified. I think because she had my dad in a nursing home for about 18 mos. it scared her a bit. When she needed it, we went the home care route for as long as possible (I lived 800 miles away), then I moved her to a nursing home and she didn't live long enough to get much of the benefits from the nursing home option. Her policies were not as good as what is offered today, the home care and nursing home were separate. She was 90 when she died and I figured she got out just a bit more than she paid in.

I guess I think about the inheritance because I know how much my mom and dad cared about my "kids" and vice versa and I'd like to know some of what has been handed down to me can be left to be passed on.

Carol
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us