The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Modified AGI Date:  2/27/2003  10:37 PM
Author:  rschoemer Number:  64146 of 127747

Good Day Fools!

I am in the process of starting IRA's for my wife and I. I currently have a Traditional IRA set-up, but am over the income limit to take a deduction or convert it to a ROTH.

Our combined AGI is veeeery close to the $150,000 limit for full contributions to a ROTH, but in reading the instructions on page 2 of IRS Form 8606 under "Contributions" it says "Use the Maximum Roth IRA Contribution Worksheet below.... If you are married filing jointly complete worksheet seperately for you and your spouse."

Am I to compare our individual incomes against the $160,000 figure when calculating IRA contributions for each of us (i.e. a potential combined income limit of $320,000)?

If so, does the same Modified AGI rule apply for Traditional IRAs? Is it possible that my wife qualifies for a Traditional IRA deduction even if I don't? Her income only accounts for about $37,000 of our combined AGI.

I have a non-contributory profit sharing plan at work, and she participates in a 401k at hers. I just want to make sure I open the best choice IRA for each of us.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Russ Schoemer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us