The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/that-3k-annual-limit-is-the-sum-of-roth-ira-and-18698273.aspx

Subject:  Re: Basic Question Date:  3/6/2003  7:49 PM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  35837 of 76421

That $3K annual limit is the sum of Roth IRA and traditional IRA contributions for each individual. It is not affected at all by particupation in a 401K plan. You can still max your 401K and do the $3K IRA/Roth contribution.

Yes, I was aware of this but I was interested in what options a person that is not offered a 401(k) has. In a 401(k), I believe you can contribute in the neighborhood of $11,000 which is before taxes and then also contribute $3000 to a Roth.

Since I do not have any 401(k) available to me, I can only contribute $3000 to a traditional IRA and that is it, no Roth because I have already maxed my IRA contributions.

So it seems, for the people that are not offered a 401(k), they are out of luck in that they can contribute a total of $3000 whereas the other scenario can contribute $14000 to a combination of 401(k) and Roth.

This is the first time I have worked for a company that didn't offer a 401(k) and have only contributed $3000 to an IRA for myself and my wife. I was hoping I could maximize my contributions a little more but it appears that is my only option, outside of having a taxable brokerage account invested in whatever funds I choose.

DT
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us