The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Basic Question Date:  3/7/2003  12:52 AM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  35840 of 88775

I do not understand this restriction. You can open up a Roth IRA if you wish to do so. Your total contribution to both is limited to $3000. But you can allocate it in any way that you wish.

If you had said that you had passed an income threshold that prevented investing in a Roth IRA, I would understand that. Is it because you wish to make deductions? If so, it is usually better to take the Roth IRA unless your time-frame is very short.

Well, in my situation, I do not qualify for a Roth due to my income. However, even if my income qualified me, I would still be capped at a total of $3000, as opposed to approximately $14000 total if I had a 401(k) and an IRA.

I was curious if there was anything to do as a person with no 401(k) available to "make up" the lost opportunity of putting away $11000, outside of investing it in a brokerage account.

From what I gather, the answer is no unless my income is from self-employment (1099) and then I could do a variety of plans such as a SEP-IRA or a Keogh.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us