The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Basic Question Date:  3/7/2003  11:30 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  35848 of 88537

<I was curious if there was anything to do as a person with no 401(k) available to "make up" the lost opportunity of putting away $11000, outside of investing it in a brokerage account.>

Emphatically, DT, the only way to let your investment grow tax deferred after you have maxed your Roth IRA/Trad IRA (when you have no 401k) is to purchase an annuity. See my first response.

But LTBH is a better approach. The taxes are low if you chose investments that pay little or no dividends or capital gains. LTBH is better than 401K in that in retirement you pay taxes at capital gains rates on LTBH investments, but at full rates on 401k distributions.

You can do LTBH with a variety of investments including mutual funds or real estate. You don't have to have a brokerage account to do it.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us