The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotmuch-depends-on-how-large-the-amounts-you-18712480.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wellesley Income Fund Date:  3/9/2003  9:09 PM
Author:  Jack254 Number:  35863 of 75383

"Much depends on how large the amounts you are talking about and how important they are to your retirement. If less than $100K, one fund is fine. If more than say $200K, perhaps two funds would be better".

It is "31 years worth" of pension. It represents 70% of my retirement excluding Social Security so I would not want to loose a lot of it.

"The other account at another firm gives you some options."

A little more security as I look at it also.

"Putting a large lump sum of money into the stock market at one time is always a concern. But is that money invested now? If so, moving from that account (as in a 401K) to another with similar investments avoids the risk. "

It is not invested the same way. It will be a lump sum calculated on how much "The Company" would have to put into an annuity to pay me "X" amount of my salary for my expected life span based on the current rate of a 30 year Treasury. So my Lump sum is at a 41 year high.

a 7 1/2% return on the lump would equal the annuitized payment but I would still have the lump sum left for my estate. (or more if I can do it as well as some of the other fine folks at Fooldom)

Thanks for your input and good luck to you also. Jack
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us